As part the Town Council, Cittaslow Llangollen recently ran a Community Support Grants event to help local groups fund facilities, equipment and activities that are important to the local community.
Local groups were given the opportunity to apply for up to £250 or £1000. The £1000 grants were available to groups who worked together on a joint application.
Applications were received from Llangollen Running Club, 1st Llangollen Scouts, Ysgol y Gwernant, Ysgol Bryn Collen, Llangollen Art Club, Vale of Clwyd MIND, Llangollen Museum, Llangollen Football Club, The Old Lockup and Gwlangollen, Run Free Fell Runners,Friends of Pengwern, Zero Waste and Llangollen Foodshare, Llangollen Sports Club, Llangollen Christmas Festival.
- Sew Can Ewe – A re-using and recycling project whereby disused and torn or spoiled clothing, fabrics and threads are repurposed to create new items
- Vale of Clywd Mind – The provision of five healthy cooking and eating sessions
- Llangollen Running Club – Printing bilingual leaflets posters and banners for distribution in Llangollen and surrounding communities to promote ‘Couch to 5k’ beginner sessions
- Zero Waste and Foodshare Llangollen – The Community Cookery project involves combining a zero-waste, sustainable, economical and environmentally friendly approach to cooking and eating, the sharing of surplus food, and the sharing of cookery skills
- Ysgol Bryn Collen / Ysgol y Gwernant – Learning Outside the Box is a project designed in response to a lack of statutory provision for outdoor learning. It aims to provide teaching and learning of different kinds outdoors, outside of the classroom, school building and school grounds
Applicants each delivered a presentation at a public meeting on 3rd March. The event was very well attended with well over 70 local residents joining in to vote for the winning bids. Given the success of the project we plan to increase the fund to £5000 in 2021.