FlintShare is a community run social enterprise based in Flintshire, North Wales, which provides members with the opportunity to help produce their own food.
Do you enjoy eating delicious, fresh, organically grown fruit and veg? Whether you grow already or would like to learn, come and see us at one of our FlintShare sites, or visit our stall at events and festivals in and around Mold.
FlintShare has three sites across the county:
Hawarden – right next to the Hawarden Estate Farm Shop, Chester Road, Hawarden CH5 3FB.
- The easy parking and raised beds makes it ideal for the less mobile
- The cafe and large playground at the Farm Shop mean that you can entertain the children while you are on site
- Easy access from Broughton, Hawarden Village, Queensferry and just 15 minutes from Chester
Cilcain – the site is located just outside the village of Cilcain, 15 minutes from Mold and within the Clwydian Range AONB.
- The site covers over three acres of south facing slopes with established hedges and mature trees on three sides and a stream on the fourth which provides our irrigation
- There is a beautiful collection of ancient broad-leaf trees, with plenty of space for woodland crafts, coppicing and managing woodland
- We have planted a willow coppice to supply stems for weaving and supports and have built our very own ‘wiki leaks’ – our on-site comfort station!
- The site is a focus for our social activities, recreation and learning opportunities
- We have beehives on site which provide honey for members and pollinate our crops
- A wide selection of flowers is grown both for cutting and for wildlife
- We have two sheds which provide shelter and storage
Northop – the site is in the grounds of the Wrexham Glyndwr University, Northop Campus/Coleg Cambria and can be accessed by car. It is on a flat site, so is suitable for most people. As much of the growing is in polytunnels, it’s great for those fair weather gardeners – usually warm and always dry!
- We have brought the six polytunnels back into production and introduced automatic irrigation
- We also tend and harvest the well-established large orchard
- The polytunnels enable us to extend our season and to grow the tender crops such as melons, peaches and aubergines
At all the sites members grow together as a community and share the produce.
New members are welcome.
To find out more: www.flintshare.org